JASPER COUNTY HISTORY
|Jasper County was formed in 1833 out of Jones and Wayne Counties. It is the only county in the State that has two old highways crossing in it. The ‘Old Jackson Millitary Highway’ from New Orleans to Nashville crosses the upper branch of the Federal Horse Path (Road) from Evergreen, Alabama to Natchez about three miles north of Bay Springs. The Federal Road followed the older path ‘Three Chopped Way’ from Savanah, Georgia to Natchez, Mississippi. It was one of the first mail routes and was the first road through Alabama. (This information from rootsweb) Above left is the earliest photo taken of Bay Springs.
Jasper County is one of ten counties in Mississippi that has two county seats and so two courthouses.