Montrose is a town located in Jasper County Mississippi on state Highway 15. As of 2000, the population of Montrose is 127 and the town covers 2.7 sq miles and is at 430 ft elevation. Montrose, Mississippi, in Jasper county, is 56 miles E of Jackson, Mississippi (center to center) and 158 miles N of New Orleans, Louisiana. The town is home to some 127 residents.
Montrose was a post hamlet on Tallahoma Creek and the M.J. & Kansas City Railroad, 36 miles southwest of Meridian and 13 miles from Paulding. It has a money and express office, a bank, est. in 1905, several stores, three churches, the Mississippi Conference Training School, saw mill cotton gin, Jasper County Review edited by W W Moore, and J. M. Kenedy, population as of 1900 was 150, 1906, 500. People - Abney, Pruitt, Alexander, Neill, Burnett, Knotts, Hutto, Sharbrough, Lightsey, Hardy, Kennedy, McLaurin, Gamage, James, Sartor, Blackwell, Lighsey, Nix. (From a history of Jasper County, written by J M Kennedy)
TOWN OFFICIALS: BOARD OF ALDERMEN:
Located four miles northeast of Louin, Montrose was settled by a colony of Scottish people in the 1830's and was named for James Montrose a Marquess of Scotland.
The establishment of Montrose Academy in 1841 by Reverend J.N.Waddell marked the beginning of the town's prestige as the "Oxford of Jasper County." For seven years Montrose was recognized as a seat of learning, then Dr. Waddell was elected Professor of Ancient and Modern Languages at the University of Mississippi and the Montrose Academy was abandoned.Jasper County was practically destitute of schools until 1869 but Montrose boasted a high school in the early 1860's which was one of the first if not the first in the county.
A weekly newspaper, "The Jasper County Review," was published here by W.W. Moon from 1890 until 1917 at which time it merged with the Bay Springs News.
The Montrose Presbyterian Church, organized in 1841, with 18 members, is the oldest church in Jasper County. The present wood frame church was built in 1907.
Dr John Waddel, a charter member who donated the land for the church and cemetary, served as Chancellor of the University of Mississippi 1865-1874. The congregation disbanded in 1983.